Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Biking to Work

I've decided to bike to work, from about Central Square in Cambridge to Lexington. Altogether it's about 12.5 miles each way. Biking is much more economical (I would be spending about $8.40 on public transport every day) and time-saving (instead of sitting on the bus/train for two hours, I get up to three hours of exercise).

Here's the log of the first few days:

---------

Saturday, I took a test run to check out the roads. I left at noon, at the peak of the day's heat, and forgot sunscreen, and neglected to put on my sunglasses until I realized my eyes were burning. That was painful. I also went down a few wrong roads on the way there. Upon reaching the office, my nose bled. On the way back, I decided to take an alternate route (not Mass Ave), and got a little confused around Harvard Square, but not for much.
Way there: 1 hour 40 mins
Way back: 1 hour 20 mins

Yesterday, I left at 5:47 AM. In the afternoon, I left the office early, at 4 PM, in hopes of beating the traffic, but I seem to have just biked into it. It was also very hot then.
Way there: 1 hour 15 mins
Way back: 1 hour 30 mins

This morning, I left at 5:43 AM. A road in Lexington was blocked for paving, and I ended up taking an alternate route, which was wrong. I realized this after I'd gone a fifth of a mile off. I ended up working 11 hours today, leaving from the entrance of Vistaprint at 6:43 PM. A few drops of rain fell on my face not far into my ride, and I got a little scared given those flash downpours Boston has been having. So I biked vigorously, partially driven by fear, especially as I got closer to WILG and the drops got bigger.
Way there: 1 hour 20 mins
Way back: 1 hour exactly: 6:43-7:43 PM

Total: ~75 miles.

Tomorrow I have to take public transport because it's going to rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment