Friday, January 1, 2010

A Year of Music

Songs attach themselves to places, eras, and events. [1] For me, they also attach themselves to people. (The easiest way to be memorable to me is to show me a song that sticks.) Here are some songs - mostly for my memory, and partially for anyone looking for music recommendations - that I've naturally come to associate with people this year, in rough chronological order.

Soul Coughing: "Is Chicago, Is Not Chicago" - David S.
Sufjan Stevens (artist) [2]: George H.
Ratatat: "Seventeen Years" - Hayman
Jesse McCartney: "Right Where You Want Me" - Pallavi P.
Vienna Teng: "Recessional" - Ben C.
Leonard Berstein: "Maria" (from West Side Story) - Aaron S.
Billy Joel: "So It Goes" - Aaron S.
Cake: "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" - Kelly R.
Silversun Pickups: "Lazy Eye" - Pallavi P.
Beethoven: String Quartet Op. 131 [2] - Steven J.
Weezer: "My Name is Jonas" - Dennis M.



There are songs that will remind me of events, moments in time, and transitions.

The National: "Fake Empire"
OneRepublic: "Goodbye Apathy"
Red Hot Chili Peppers: "Otherside"
Maroon 5: "Sunday Morning"
John Mayer: "In Your Atmosphere"
Josh Kelley: "Justice"
Foo Fighters: "Everlong"
John Legend: "Ordinary People"
Miles Davis: "All Blues"
Kings of Leon: "Use Somebody"


And songs I discovered and just really liked.

Smashing Pumpkins: "1979"
Red Hot Chili Peppers: "Wet Sand", "Dani California"
Coldplay: "Everything's Not Lost"
John Mayer: "Neon", "I Don't Need No Doctor"
Wilco: "Impossible Germany"
Phoenix: "1901"
Newton Faulkner: "Feels Like Home"
Weezer: "Say It Ain't So", "Buddy Holly", "El Scorcho", "Across the Sea", "Pink Triangle", "Perfect Situation"
AC/DC: "It's a Long Way to the Top"


[1] This follows from another piece of Ben Jones' advice: #3.
[2] Duly noted: not a "song".

3 comments:

  1. Hey Jess!

    I'm now officially following you.

    ;)

    Thought you ought to know! [Redirected from the MIT blogs, mostly by amusement at the whole Jess/Yan dual persona mixup].

    ^_~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the heads-up (not that I would mind your anonymity =P).

    ReplyDelete
  3. =_=

    This is a valid point...except that I already blew the whole anonymous thing.

    xD

    Oh well, I'm left with justification, in which case I employ the one-sided information exchange argument [which didn't exist until about 30 seconds ago, and is largely based upon the fact that I have all the information.] On second thought, that argument is holey: this is a blog.

    T_T

    Well, that makes me +1 lifelesson: think before you post.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete